photography by Two Eagles Marcus
Betsy Borden, founder and owner of Peninsula Trading Travel Gear, is no stranger to adventure. She opened her store, a traveler’s paradise planted on Cherry Street, after a revitalizing endeavor to Spain convinced her to make a lifestyle change from her many years as a sales representative.
Borden spends her time happily bestowing knowledge garnered from her plethora of travel experiences to anyone who needs it.
“Ninety percent of the people who come in want have conversations and share their stories,” Borden said, referring to a notebook in which customers write where they’re going or have been and how they’ve had a little help from her along the way.
When she isn’t at her shop offering helpful tips to fellow adventure-enthusiasts, you’ll find her sipping an Americano while thumbing through the world atlas.
1. What is your favorite movie?
Breakfast at Tiffany’s.
2. What have you most recently learned?
How to operate a riding mower!
3. Who would you like to meet for coffee for an hour?
John Travolta, hoping I could get some kind of dance with him too!
4. What is one thing GR could use more of?
The Amtrak Train departure and return options.
5. What would you tell your ten-year-old self?
“You knew exactly what you were talking about, owning your own retail shop!”
6. What do you always keep in your refrigerator?
Chicken broth and basil.
7. What words do you live by?
“Do what you want, be what you are.” Thank you, Daryl Hall.
8. What’s your guilty pleasure?
Van’s Bakery cake donut with chocolate icing.
9. What is your theme song?
“A Lot of Livin To do” from Bye Bye Birdie.
10. If you could go anywhere in the world tomorrow where would you go?
New York City. I know I could go just as I am now. I love its energy and what it offers.